The English curriculum at SMBS aims to ensure that pupils:
- Become functionally literate members of society, using strategies where appropriate.
- Develop an understanding and appreciation of both classic and contemporary texts.
- Communicate in a range of forms and for different purposes and audiences.
- Effectively communicate their understanding and ideas verbally.
- Actively participate in speaking and listening tasks such as discussion, debate and presentation to enhance learning.
- Explore a range of social and moral issues within texts and how these relate to modern-day society.
- Leave SMBS with an English qualification which reflects the best of their ability.