The maths curriculum at SMBS aims to:
- Foster a love and enjoyment of maths.
- Develop fluency in numeracy.
- Develop an understanding of all the different components and complexities of maths.
- Set realistic yet challenging targets, with high expectations for all pupils.
- Ensure all pupils leave SMBS with a maths qualification which reflects the best of their ability.
- Engage and motivate students through offering a variety of approaches to teaching and learning, encouraging their active participation in maths.
- Develop and extend a pupils’ ability to solve problems using creativity and logic.
- Develop confidence in using specialist mathematical language.
- Build a pupil’s confidence in their own ability and develop mathematical skills for use at school and in the outside world.
- See the purpose and function of maths in the world.